BMW X5 Windshield Replacement Cost
What's In This Post?
- 1 BMW X5 Windshield Replacement Cost
- 2 Auto Glass Services
- 3 Average Online Glass Quotes
- 4 Recommended X5 Maintenance
- 5 Helpful Products for the BMW X5
- 6 History & Features of the X5
- 7 FAQ
- 8 Key Takeaways
- 9 Let’s Talk
Repairing a damaged windshield on any model BMW is expensive. If you’ve checked online for price quotes, you’ll find the BMW X5 windshield replacement cost is between $1,750 and $2,500 after labor costs, which is a pretty hefty price tag.
The $1,750 to $2,500 price tag is for newer models of the X5. If you’re driving an X5 more than six years old, you can expect to pay between $385 to $650 depending on features such as a heads-up display and lane departure warning. These safety systems with cameras or sensors like lane departure warnings and adaptive cruise control will increase your repair costs up to $300.
Buying a high-end vehicle like the BMW X5 can be pretty expensive when something needs replacing, such as the windshield or other components. After reading this article, you’ll know what prices to expect for each auto glass replacement part on the X5 and what maintenance schedule to follow to keep your BMW in top shape.
Enter Your Zip Code Below To Find Local Shops Now
Click to Call 877-781-6961
Auto Glass Services
Average Online Glass Quotes
The BMW X5 has six different windows between the vehicle’s sides, front and back. In addition, the top of the SUV might also have a sunroof, making it seven glass parts.
On the sides of the X5, there are front door windows, back door windows, rear door vent glass, and quarter glass. In addition, the windshields are in the front, and in the back is the liftgate glass.
We’ve put together an average range of online quotes for these different glass parts so you’ll know what to expect when shopping for a replacement. The price ranges below include 1999 to present-day X5s.
|Glass Part||Average Cost|
|Windshield||$385 – $2,500|
|Driver / Passenger Side Front Door Glass||$295 – $365|
|Driver / Passenger Side Back Door Glass||$310 – $375|
|Driver / Passenger Side Back Door Vent Glass||$585 – $615|
|Driver / Passenger Side Quarter Glass||$850 – $875|
|Rear Glass / Liftgate Window||$450 – $1,250|
|Front Windshield Chip Repair (per chip)||$55 – $75|
Note: If you’re BMW has an advanced driver assistance system, the final price for a windshield installation will require additional fees for recalibration. Additionally, privacy tint, soundproofing, and heated glass will increase the final price.
Get an Online Price Quote Now
Recommended X5 Maintenance
If you think the BMW X5 windshield replacement cost is high, wait until you need work performed on the motor or suspension. Replacing an oil pump or active suspension system can cost you more than $2,000 each. In addition, following routine maintenance helps prevent additional unforeseen expenses caused by mechanical failure. However, it’s also vital to check recalls before they become an issue.
Recall alerts from manufacturers and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) help protect consumers against defective vehicles. You should visit https://www.nhtsa.gov/ to determine if your X5 has significant recalls to fix.
Below are our recommended services to help keep your BMW SUV running smooth and looking great. Of course, we’re not mechanics or BMW specialists and suggest checking your owner’s manual or speaking with certified BMW mechanics for specific details.
Driving Performance & Safety
- Rotate Tires: A BMW X5 tire replacement can range from $150 to more than $500, which is pretty expensive, so rotating them is essential to increase their life. In addition, the rear tires on the X5 have increased camber to improve handling and traction, which also causes the tires to wear out faster. We recommend rotating the tires on your BMW X5 every 3,000 to 4,000 miles to help extend tread life. Check out our article on tire rotation to learn more.
- Oil Changes: The oil for BMW X5 SUV engines is synthetic, which doesn’t require changing often. However, we don’t recommend going over 8,000 miles on synthetic to ensure adequate lubrication of the engine for better life extension. Check out our article on oil changes to learn more.
- Tune-Up: Not having tune-ups performed can cause a reduction in the BMW X5’s horsepower, performance, and fuel economy. Tune-ups at recommended service intervals found in your owner’s manual will ensure that all systems are working correctly and quickly address any possible hidden issues. Visit the article we wrote on automotive tune-ups to learn more.
- Brake Replacement: We recommend having the brake pads checked or changed if you hear scratching or squeaking. Replacing the brake pads before the surface of the rotors is scratched will save you a lot of money. For example, the average brake rotor on a BMW X5 is between $75 and $385 before adding the cost of labor to install them. In addition, brake pads should last between 15,000 and 30,000 miles depending on driving conditions. To learn more, check out our article on brake replacements.
- Wiper Blade Replacement: Poor quality windshield wipers can make it difficult to see the road ahead during bad weather. In addition, a bad windshield wiper blade can cause additional windshield damage, such as scratches requiring repair. If you notice excessive scratching on your windshield, check out the article we wrote on windshield scratch removal to find out how to get rid of them.
The items in this section are more about appearance than keeping your car running well, but we feel each of these items contributes to the resale value of your BMW X5.
- Wash and Wax: We recommend washing your X5 weekly to remove dirt and debris. Keeping the surface clean also exposes any possible issues, such as discoloration from oxidation, which is why we also recommend waxing your vehicle regularly. Applying a hand wax every three months can keep the surface from oxidizing in most cases. Check out our auto detailing article to learn more.
- Dent Repair: Like washing and waxing your car, removing minor dents doesn’t cost much and can keep the surface looking new, plus help the overall resale value. Check out our article on paintless dent repair costs if you have a minor door ding that needs removing. However, if you got caught in a hail storm, consider checking out our hail damage repair article for additional details on the process and costs associated.
Helpful Products for the BMW X5
- Roof Racks & Hitch Haulers: The BMW X5 cargo space is excellent, but having a roof rack or hitch hauler if you’re taking a trip and need to pack suitcases. It can also make it easier to transport large items. Check out the article we wrote on rooftop cargo boxes to learn more.
- Towing Mirrors: You may not need to tow all the time, but with the towing capacity of the BMW X5 ranging from 5,000 to 7,200 pounds, it makes sense to have some kind of towing mirror available. Check out our article about towing mirrors to learn more.
- Car Cover: Car covers protect your BMW X5 from the elements when you park it outside. They can be used year-round and come in different materials like canvas, vinyl, and leather. Check out our article on car covers to learn more.
History & Features of the X5
The BMW X5 has been around since 1999 and hit the scene as an alternative to the Mercedes-Benz M-Class and Audi Q7. It was designed with luxury and comfort and offered great versatility thanks to its spacious interior.
The BMW X5 is available in front-wheel-drive (FWD) and all-wheel drive (AWD). It comes in several trim levels including the base model, xDrive35i, xDrive40i, xDrive45i, xDrive50i, and xDrive55i. Each trim level includes different features like navigation, leather seats, heated seats, etc.
The X5 has received numerous awards, including MotorWeek’s Best Luxury Car for 2017.
The exterior design of the BMW X5 is very similar to other models in the BMW lineup. The X5 has a long wheelbase and wide track to provide a comfortable ride for passengers. The headlights have LED lights, and the grille is chrome plated.
The BMW X5 has a roomy cabin that provides plenty of legroom and headroom. In addition, there is ample storage throughout the vehicle, and the rear seat folds down to create even more room.
There are three rows of seating inside the X5. The first row has two bucket seats, while the second and third rows feature bench seats. All three rows fold flat into the floor, making it easy to load and unload items from the backseat.
Towing and Performance
The BMW X5’s towing capacity is rated between 5,000 and 7,200 pounds, making it one of the most powerful and capable SUVs available. The X5 also offers the following four engine options to help easily pull any load.
- 2.0L turbocharged I4 engine producing 240 horsepower and 258 lb.-ft. of torque
- 3.0L turbocharged V6 engine producing 300 horsepower and 273 lb.-ft. of twist
- 4.4L twin-turbo V8 engine producing 365 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of twisting power
- 5.0L twin-turbocharged V12 engine producing 550 horsepower and 627 lb.-ft. of force
The number of features and options make the X5 a popular choice among drivers looking for a family SUV with power. Check out your local BMW dealer for every available option found on the latest model.
- When did the BMW X5 first introduce the lane departure sensor? The lane departure warning system on the X5 was introduced in 2014 to help warn drivers if they were drifting out of their lane unintentionally.
- Why does the BMW X5 windshield cost more with lane departure or adaptive cruise control? When a mechanic performs service on safety systems like these, it requires special equipment to calibrate the cameras and sensors to function correctly. The additional costs help cover the equipment and certified technicians needed to operate it.
- How long does the windshield installation process take on a BMW X5? You’d think the job would take hours to complete for the amount of money a new BMW X5 windshield costs. However, most professional installers can remove the old windshield and install the new one within an hour.
- How safe is it to drive immediately after the replacement process? You can typically drive your vehicle immediately after having any of the side glass or rear liftgate glass replaced. Still, the front windshield requires additional time for the urethane to cure. The safe drive time of urethane depends on the type used during the installation. Wait times can range from one hour to several hours. We recommend asking the technician to provide the exact times listed on the side of the urethane tube.
- Should I use the dealership to install my windshield? It’s your choice to select which installation company you want to perform the repair. However, dealership prices might be slightly higher than choosing an outside glass company.
- How durable is an aftermarket windshield for my BMW X5? The front glass on a vehicle protects passengers from flying debris so having a durable windshield is essential. An aftermarket or non-OEM windshield replacement will have the exact dimensions as your original glass, but the UV protection, thickness, and color might differ slightly. However, the auto glass industry adheres to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) federal safety standards, which require testing auto glass products sold to the public in the U.S., so an aftermarket glass is considered a safe, reliable, and cost-effective option.
- What’s the price difference between aftermarket windshields and OEM windshields? OEM glass is generally 40% to 60% more expensive than a non-OEM option.
- A newer model BMW X5 windshield replacement cost is between $1,750 and $2,500, depending on additional built-in features that use cameras and special sensors.
- The BMW X5 windshield replacement cost on vehicles six years of age or older can range from $385 to $650, depending on your location and additional features.
- The installation process for a new BMW X5 windshield can take less than an hour to complete for an experienced installer.
- An aftermarket replacement for your BMW X5 might vary in thickness, color, and UV protection, but it’s considered reliable and cost-effective.
- A regular maintenance schedule can help keep your BMW X5 in top condition.
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) provides recall information to help stay on top of reported issues you should fix.
- OEM glass is generally 40% to 60% more than aftermarket glass.
If you’re a BMW X5 driver, give us a call to speak with one of our friendly representatives. Use the “Find Local Shops Now” button to display the shop closest to you, or call our toll-free number and enter your zip code to speak with a local provider, 877-781-6961. Then, we can schedule service to your home or office and answer any additional questions you may have.
Visit our BMW windshield replacement page for helpful links on information other than an X5.
Enter Your Zip Code Below To Find Local Shops Now
Click to Call 877-781-6961
Shawn LongmoreShawn is the founder of Auto Glass Locator and enjoys providing articles related to automotive parts and services. His mission is to make it easy for everyone to find all the information they need in one spot. Each year he continues to help more people find great deals on auto glass and other automotive services.
5 Safety Questions To Ask Your Windshield Replacement Provider
Believe it or not, front windshields serve a much bigger purpose than just allowing you to see outside of the car when you're driving. They also protect you...
How Soon Can You Drive After Windshield Replacement?
How soon can you drive after windshield replacement? Safe drive-away time is a common issue surrounding windshield replacements and will vary...