How much does it cost to repair the sunroof?
What's In This Post?
The information on this page comes from real consumer feedback and is meant to help you make an informed decision about whether to take your vehicle to a repair shop for sunroof services or do it yourself. Prices vary a great deal depending on what is wrong with your sunroof but they are fairly affordable for the most part.
Sunroof repair and replacement are simple but can be expensive if damaged. The average cost of a sunroof repair is between $400 and $800, depending on what pieces need to be corrected. The national average for a new sunroof ranges from $600 to $1,000. Finding the exact cost is difficult because so many different factors affect pricing.
How to repair a sunroof leak?
Leaking sunroofs are a common problem for many drivers, but there are ways to eliminate the issue if you know what is causing your leak. Here are some simple checks that will help you identify and fix the source of a leak before it damages the interior upholstery.
Typically, start by checking for small cracks in the plastic seams surrounding the sunroof or moonroof. If there are any cracks, they should be sealed with silicone for effective prevention of future leaks.
If the leak seems to come from above your car, check and see if you will need a new header panel or if some cables connected to it broke. Usually, repairing these kinds of problems is more expensive than just replacing the sunroof.
If you notice your leak is coming from a crack in the glass or outer accessories, it’s probably time to get a new roof.
What causes the sunroof to leak?
There are many issues that can cause a leak. Below are 5 of the most common items that cause problems and need to be repaired.
- Defective drain assembly or clogged drains – Leaks commonly happen around the drain channels in about 65% of all sunroof problems. A busted drainage system will not only cause leaks but could also cause the need to replace the roof due to water damage at the same time. Be sure your drains are not blocked and are draining properly.
- Sunroof seal – This can crack or wear out over time, allowing water to leak through during bad weather or while washing the car.
- Corroded support frame – The metal frames and bars that hold up your sunroof can corrode and rust if the paint has been scratched, exposing bare metal. A leak will soon follow if your roof is not holding together. This can also prevent it from sliding correctly. It’s a good idea to check these supports regularly for cracks or corrosion.
- Glass failure – Your glass may be cracked internally, which can lead to water leaks.
- Broken sunroof defogger – If your defogger button is broken, the metal window striker may not work properly. This will cause a leak through the top seal since it cannot seat correctly into place.
Below is a short list of some costs related to sunroofs on Cars, Vans & SUVs. The list is accurate for each service but may vary by vehicle and location. For a more accurate estimate, it’s best to contact your local auto glass technician.
- Cleaning Drainage Area: $80 – $150
- Replace Glass: $300 – $400
- Broken Cable or Track Replacement: $500 – $800
- Motor Replacement: $200 – $500
- Replace Moonroof: $1,000 – $2,000
- Replacing Sunroof: $600 – $1,000
- Repair Sunroof Leak: $100 – $300
Get an Auto Glass Price Quote Now
Where to buy a replacement sunroof
If you are interested in buying a new sunroof, consider shopping online or contacting Auto Glass Locator to help. If searching for a used part online, you can find literally thousands of hits with “used replacement sunroofs” for sale on sites like eBay or Facebook marketplace. These are great places if you’re looking to save some cash and get a used sunroof or moonroof.
Below are some things to Consider Before Starting A Sunroof Replacement.
- #1 thing to know before you fix sunroof glass – It’s important to understand that there are different types of auto glass for your sunroof, and each type is available in several different sizes and shapes. The size and shape of your sunroof dictates which type of glass can be used as its replacement. Common shapes include round and rectangle-shaped glass. If you need help identifying the type of glass required for your car, don’t hesitate to have an expert check the label on their packaging or measure them yourself with a ruler as this should provide all of the necessary information needed about dimensions and model numbers.
- #2 thing to know before you fix sunroof glass – Fixing a sunroof is no easy project, so make sure to do your research and consider all of the costs involved. Glass sunroof repair prices can range anywhere from $300-$1,000 dollars. This range varies by year, make, and model of your vehicle. There are also many factors that affect pricing, such as the city and state where you live; whether or not insurance will cover the cost of the repair; how much coverage is included in the deductible amount on your insurance policy; and the quality of glass you choose.
- #3 thing to know before you fix sunroof glass – Not only will professionals be able to fix your sunroof at a lower cost, but they’ll also ensure that it’s properly sealed so that water doesn’t leak in when it rains. And if they don’t have the right parts on hand, most auto glass repair centers can order them for you.
What Else Should I Know About Sunroof Repairs?
When you’re looking for a reputable provider, remember that price isn’t always an indicator of quality. Instead, look for providers who:
- Offer warranties on their work
- Are certified by the National Windshield Repair Association (NWRA) or the Glass Safety Council (GSC)
- Have positive online reviews and offer transparent pricing
Hire A Professional!
The most important thing you should know about repairing a sunroof is this: Hiring a professional in your area with expertise in this field is the best way to ensure it’s done right and at a fair price. If you have specific questions or want help finding an affordable auto glass repair shop in your neighborhood, please contact us! We proudly serve customers Nationwide.
Shawn LongmoreShawn is the founder of Auto Glass Locator and enjoys providing articles related to automotive parts and services. His mission is to make it easy for everyone to find all the information they need in one spot. Each year he continues to help more people find great deals on auto glass and other automotive services.
What Is Laminated Safety Glass? Important Windshield Info!
Laminated auto glass has many excellent benefits and has been in use for several decades. This special type of glass is manufactured by combining
Wind Noise After A Windshield Replacement | 9 Things To Check!
Hearing wind noise after a windshield replacement clearly shows that something didn’t get handled properly during the installation process. These 9 items will..
How Soon Can You Drive After Windshield Replacement?
How soon can you drive after windshield replacement? Safe drive-away time is a common issue surrounding windshield replacements and will vary...
Paintless Dent Repair Cost and 1 Hidden Danger To Watch For!
Paintless dent repair cost will range from $90 to $200 per dented panel. The average cost for a job is around $125 per body panel. However...